Pokemon Battle Rescue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon Battle Rescue

this pokemon rpg fourm, please rp and enjoy yourselfs

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fidel Castro quit as Cuba Communist Party chief in 2006

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr007
Trainer
Trainer

Fidel Castro quit as Cuba Communist Party chief in 2006 Empty
PostSubject: Fidel Castro quit as Cuba Communist Party chief in 2006   Fidel Castro quit as Cuba Communist Party chief in 2006 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 am

Fidel Castro speaks during a meeting with Cuban and foreign intellectuals visiting Havana's International book fair on 15 February Fidel Castro used his regular column to confirm his resignation
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

* Cuba's mass lay-off plan held up
* Will 2011 herald major changes in Cuba?
* Q&A: Cuba's economic changes

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro has said he resigned from all his official positions when he fell ill in 2006, including Communist Party head.

Although it was widely known Mr Castro was not doing the day-to-day job of party leader, he had never publicly stepped down from the post.

Mr Castro's comments in state media appeared to be an attempt to quell speculation about his future role.

The Communist Party is due to hold its first Congress in 14 years in April.

"I resigned without hesitation all my state and political positions, even that of First Secretary of the Party when I got sick," Mr Castro, 84, said in his regular column published in state media.

"I never tried to exercise those roles again, not even when I had partially recovered a year later, although everyone affectionately continued to refer to me (as First Secretary)."

Mr Castro's column confirms suggestions from last November, when he told students he had "delegated" all his powers.

Mr Castro's brother, Raul, officially took over the presidency in February 2008 and is widely thought to have been working as party leader.

Raul Castro, 79, is expected to be confirmed in the role when the ruling Communist Party holds its congress, which starts on 16 April.

Raul Castro has been introducing economic reforms that are expected to be endorsed by delegates.
free pron
erotic website
Back to top Go down

Fidel Castro quit as Cuba Communist Party chief in 2006
Page 1 of 1